PERIPATETIC PLAYERS SUMMER INTERNSHIP
Responsibilities & Opportunities
- You’ll help the Players set up and tear down their outdoor touring show, including organizing props and costumes, and helping to set up scenic elements.
- You’ll help the Players welcome the audience, and interact with the audience before and after the performance, distribute programs, and help to build excitement for the show.
- You’ll assist the “house manager” at the SPPPs outdoor productions, helping to count audience members and to prepare performance reports.
- You’ll take photos at rehearsals and performances, and post them to the Peripatetic Players’ social media accounts.
- Optional – if you’d like, you can create your own Peripatetic Players character who is part of the troupe, though not performing in the show: you’ll create a name, costume, and backstory for your character and attend shows “in character.” This option requires attendance at at least 3 rehearsals.
- Optional – you can help create and build props, costumes, and scenic elements. This option requires attendance at “build days” in July and early August.
- You’ll observe and learn how independent theatre companies run, and how they produce and market small-scale professional shows.
- You’ll see first-hand the unique joys and challenges of creating free, interactive outdoor shows in public parks, for audiences of all ages.
- Your commitment is flexible based on your availability and interest in different rehearsal and production activities.
- Rehearsals, late June through early August – you’ll attend as many rehearsals as you wish to observe the Peripatetic Players’ process of creating and rehearsing their summer touring show, and can help keep track of script edits as well as and prop and costume needs. Rehearsals are held in East Oakland; we can help arrange transport from BART.
- Tech rehearsals and performances, August 8 – 30 (possible optional extension to September 7, Memorial Day Weekend), at public parks in Alameda, Oakland, and other East Bay locations to be announced.
- Read on for more information and schedule for the summer tour
- This is an unpaid internship. We’ll work with you to provide a learning experience that fits your interests, and will gladly write letters of recommendation for you at the end of the internship for colleges or other internship / fellowship opportunities.
- We’ll provide sunscreen and bug spray, water, snacks, and reimbursement for transportation or transit costs.
- Ages 16+
- You love collaborative and/or interactive theatre
- You’re responsible, helpful, and motivated, with a positive attitude
- You enjoy interacting with people of all ages – from toddlers to elders
How To Apply
Easy-peasy! Just send an email to email@example.com telling us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in this internship. Just a few sentences will do. Be sure to include the best way to reach you: an email address and/or phone number. Feel free to ask us questions, too!
ABOUT IDIOT STRING
Idiot String, the parent company of the Peripatetic Players, is a collaborative ensemble theatre company. We engage audiences with highly entertaining interactive performances that incite delight and spontaneous community wherever we appear. Whether performing in a theatre, on the street, or in the open air, Idiot String creates opportunities for joyful shared experience and participatory fun. Idiot String has produced the Samuel Peaches Peripatetic Players’ shows in Bay Area neighborhood parks since 2014, and premiered an original interactive touring play, Elixir of Life, in 2017. In 2019, Idiot String was commissioned by the East Bay Fund for Artists and Port Costa Conservation Society to create Port Stories, a site-specific interactive exploration of a fictional version of Port Costa, California. Learn more at www.IdiotString.org.
ABOUT THE SPPP SUMMER TOUR
The Samuel Peaches Peripatetic Players (SPPPs) arrived at the San Francisco Fringe Festival in 2013 with a trunkload full of tall tales of world travel. Since then they have performed at theatres, schools, parks, and public spaces around the Bay Area, usually aboard FluxWagon, their folding mobile stage. This year’s production is a repertory festival of the Players’ Lord Of The Rings parody, A Lord Of A Ring In A Suitcase: The Extend-Ish Edition. The Players will remount their hour-long 2019 version of The Fellowship Of The Ring and perform it in repertory with a new play to create a 2-play “trilogy.” The shows will be performed in rep over weekends in August and early September, at one location per weekend. Performances are outdoors in neighborhood parks, offered free to the public, and are highly interactive. If you’re not familiar with the SPPPs, please explore our website to learn more!
REHEARSALS, TECH & PERFORMANCE DATES
Rehearsals take place in East Oakland. Outdoor Tech and Performance locations to be announced (Oakland and/or Alameda and/or other East Bay locations).
|Development workshops||February 15, 4:30p – 8:30p|
March 11, 6p-9p
April 4, 4:30p – 8:30p
June 8, 6p-9p
|Regular rehearsals||June 21 – August 6|
|Outdoor tech rehearsals / preview||August 8 – August 14|
|Performance run||August 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23, 29 & 30 (Friday early evening, multiple shows Saturdays and Sundays) plus possible extension to Sept 4-7 (Labor Day Weekend)|