Come play with us on January 27!
Mdme Directrix’s very good friend, Rebecca Longworth, will lead a workshop on January 27 called Ensemble Character Creation with the Peripatetic Players.
This workshop is open to all! In it, you’ll create your very own character, and play together with other workshop participants to perform an original adaptation of a short fairy tale… just like the Peripatetic Players do it! Read on for more info, then Sign Up Here!
What: Ensemble Character Creation with the Peripatetic Players
When: Sunday, January 27, 10am – 2pm
Where: Port Costa, California
How To Sign Up: Register at this link!
Cost is just $40, which supports both Idiot String and the Port Costa Conservation Society. Residents of Port Costa, Crockett, or Tormey pay just $10 thanks to the generous sponsorship of the Crockett Community Foundation.
Stretch your theatrical muscles, develop your own eccentric character, and hone your ensemble-creation skills!
In this workshop, Idiot String’s Artistic Director, Rebecca Longworth, will guide you through the Peripatetic Players’ signature style of character-building and collaborative creation, rooted in delight and play. You’ll come away with a new character ready to hit the stage in a variety of settings, new insight and confidence as a performer, and new collaborators dedicated to accessible ensemble theatremaking. You’ll also laugh a lot!
Using methods developed by the Peripatetic Players use to create their actor-characters, you’ll cultivate delight, vulnerability, and authentic presence on stage. You’ll gain insight into your habits as a performer, using those as strengths to build from. Then, through improvisation, eccentric exploration, and play, you’ll develop a brand-new character that’s unique to you! Your character will find their voice and form relationships, then build an ensemble with other delightful weirdos to adapt a short fairytale together.
After the workshop, explore the wonderful and tiny town of Port Costa, where you can hike the hills, relax with a book, or discover whimsical artwork and fabulous antiques — making the whole day an invigorating experience.
We are excited to play with you!
Who is this workshop for?
We’re looking for participants from a variety of backgrounds with a range of performing experience…
- Actors who want to incorporate more physicality, playfulness, or vulnerability into their character work
- Physical performers ready to deepen ensemble skills, mindfulness, vulnerability and play
- Performers of all stripes seeking to gain insight into their habits, incorporate a sense of delight and play into their practice, or explore new ways of collaborating in ensemble
- Anyone seeking more relaxation, confidence and delight on stage and working in groups
- Those interested in devised theatre-making, collaboration creation, or the Bay Area ensemble theater community
- Non-actors with an openness to learning new techniques, accessing vulnerability, and building ensemble
What to bring:
- Snacks and/or a bag lunch
- Water bottle
- Notebook or journal and pen(cil).
- Closed-toe shoes and clothes you can move in, preferably solid, neutral colors.
- Some costumes and accessories to try on — we encourage you *not* to bring your own, but instead to surprise yourself with something new!
- A creative environment rooted in connection, support, and delight.
How to sign up / cost:
Your investment of $40 supports Idiot String, our workshop leaders, and the Port Costa School as a community space. Residents of Port Costa, Tormey, and Crockett pay just $10, thanks to generous sponsorship from the Crockett Community Foundation.